A Brief Chronology of Events Pertaining to the Latter-day Apostasy.
Historical Documents and Modern Revelation
Provide a Pattern
Although much history has been altered and deleted in the official history of the church, nevertheless, it is truly miraculous and amazing how much critical information was left in it which testifies of the latter day apostasy as well as the doctrine of the three watches.
This is in part because those who fled from Nauvoo to Utah were oblivious to the reality of the apostasy and did not understand the doctrine of the three watches and therefore did not comprehend the significance of many of the events and statements documented in the official history of the church!
It is also incredible how modern revelation sheds light on these issues as well.
Using the official history of the church, some additional credible historical sources and modern revelation I have created a chronological listing of events and pronouncements by the Lord and his anointed prophet to document various trigger dates and important events that took place in the apostasy of the restored church between 1828 and 1844.
As you review this chronological profile, please notice that 37 published revelations came in 1831!
1831 was by far and a way the most revelatory year!
1832 had 18 published revelations and 1833 had 12.
1831 contains over 1/3 of all of the revelations that came during the 15 year period of Joseph’s public ministry!
The months leading up to the special conference at the Morley Farm which finally culminated in the breaking of the existing covenant and the new covenant that Joseph and Oliver entered into represent about a four year period in which 90% of the doctrines of the kingdom were revealed by the Lord during the entire 15 years!
This further demonstrates that the 3 ½ year period that the greater light of the fullness of the gospel was being extended to the Saints was by far the most revelatory period.
It is interesting how the Lord was continually chastising Joseph and other leaders of the church from the very beginning, from the time the Book of Mormon was being translated up until the saints fled to Nauvoo, when they were severely chastened for the abominations they were practicing.
Perhaps the point of all of this apostasy is that anytime human beings lose the spirit and take over, the heavens withdraw and failure is the result.
We can’t do it by our own works, it has to be by faith and by obedience to God.
In the third watch, God will show us that He delivered us over to Satan in the 2nd watch, and that He can do his own work in the 3rd watch… he will humble us. We will see very clearly that we tried to do it by works instead of faith.
Finally, after Joseph and Hyrum were taken from our midst, we chose to be ruled over by those who acted more like judges and kings than revelation receiving prophets.
God provided the law of common consent that allows us to deviate from prophets to rulers.
Cursed is he who puts his trust in the arm of flesh.
The following information in the bullet points below will verify that after the restoration of the first two priesthoods and the church, the fullness of the Gospel had still not be actuated on the earth, even though the priesthood keys that can unlock the fulness of the gospel had been restored to the earth.
The light of the fulness of the gospel did not actually begin to shine forth on the earth until the special conference at the Morley Farm when the heavens were opened and God began calling people to the Melchizedek priesthood. Additionally, the Man of Sin was revealed at the same time the greater light of the fulness of the gospel began shining forth.
The following profile of events will also show that after the Saints ultimately collectively rejected the higher light and higher law, they were forced to flee from Kirtland. They had rejected the fulness of the gospel as prophesied in the Book of Mormon.
When read in the context of the ATONEMENT STATUTE that was discussed in part six of this series, the following listing will hopefully enhance your understanding and appreciation about how God deals with his people, the latter day apostasy, the doctrine of the three watches, the prophetic intercession and reconciliation for sins and the history of the church during the Kirtand and Nauvoo eras..
(Of course, this exercise will be much more informative and meaningful to you if you will add to it your own findings and create your own listing of significant events that you have identified in modern revelation and historical accounts.
Hopefully reading this one will get you started documenting your own significant sequence of events if you are interested in such an endeavor, assuming you have not already done it.
While reading it, you may want to get out your D&C to follow along and read the associated verses in context… also, you may want to see if you can locate the 3 ½ year period that Daniel and John prophesied about as you read through the following listing!
As you read, you will notice color coding that highlights three intertwining topics, the important events of the restoration, the references to the 3rd watch and references pertaining to apostasy.
Brief Chronology of Events
Pertaining to the Latter-day Apostasy
red text relates to important parts of restoring priesthoods,
keys spiritual gifts and laying foundation of marvelous work
Blue text usually pertains to third watch
yellow highlight usually pertains to apostasy issues
[this post is not finished and some of the references are not yet included]
- “Satan thinketh to overpower your testimony in this generation, that the [marvelous] work may not come forth in this generation..”
that particular context had to do with the stolen portion of the translation, but as we will see in future sections, Satan was successful in overpowering his testimony and preventing the marvelous work from going forth in that generation. The work was hindered! ( section 10)
- The Lord warns- that generation of saints will be delivered over to Satan if they harden hearts. (BofC 5)
- Aaronic priesthood is restored– and shall not be taken UNTIL Sons of Levi offer righteous offering
The Patriarchal priesthood is restored by Peter James and John (Date not officially recorded in the history of the church, however, Daniel may be giving us a clue to finding this mysterious date by having us back up 2300 days from the time that the Kirtland Temple was accepted and cleansed by the Lord)
- The Church of Christ is legally organized according to the laws of man ( section 20)
- Seven Elders were promised they would eventually “bring to pass the gathering of the elect” to prepare the Saints against the day of tribulation and desolation. (section 29)
- 9 months after restoration of church the Lord foretells future work to come forth “And it shall come to pass that there shall be a GREAT WORK in the land, even among the gentiles, for their folly and their abomination shall be made manifest” again we are informed that the fullness of the gospel was still not yet on the earth! For additional info click here– “None doeth good except those who are ready to receive the fullness of the Gospel” The only way to escape the power of the enemy is to “go to the Ohio and there I will give unto you my law; and there you shall be endowed with power from on high…. I have a GREAT WORK laid up in store..” “when men are endowed with power from on high and sent forth, all these things shall be gathered unto the bosom of the church” (section 35)
- 10 months after the restoration of the church the Lord announced “For all flesh is corrupted before me; and the powers of darkness prevail upon the earth…”
Since ALL flesh which includes the saints was corrupted, the cleansing power of the fullness of the gospel was not yet restored! (38)
- “go forth crying with a loud voice, saying; the kingdom of heaven is at hand; crying with a loud voice crying hosanah, blessed be the name of the Most High God. Go forth baptizing with water, preparing the way before my face for the time of my coming…
AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS [at a future time, in the 3rd watch] ye shall lay your hands and they shall receive the gift of the holy ghost and shall be looking forth for the signs of my coming and shall know me“. The Lord reveals that after the restoration of the church and the first two patriarchal priesthoods, the elders were acting like John the Baptist as forerunners, preparing the way BEFORE the fullness of the gospel was manifest. They only had the preparatory gospel! It was not until the special conference several months later that the fullness of the gospel was made manifest! (section 39)
- “he that recieveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple; and he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you.” This amazing declaration leaves little wiggle room. Those of the wicked who intentionally did not live the law of consecration after receiving it are to be cast out from among the church! They rejected the fullness of the gospel(section 41)
- The Law of the Gospel is given
which incorporates the marital law of monogamy. It is also referred to as the law of Zion and Celestial Law or consecration. (section 42)
The Law of succession is given so that the Saints can avoid being deceived by any person or quorum claiming to have the right to preside over the church who had not specifically been ordained to preside over the church-
The church is commanded to not accept the teachings and revelations of imposters who had not been ordained, based on signs. In the revelation, a prophecy alludes to the eventual replacing of Joseph with Hyrum, by revelation and ordination. The law of Succession is based on REVELATION AND ORDINATION
not signs and wonders, like a person being transformed to look like someone else. ( See section 43, see also 90:4… Nevertheless, if an apostate people want to disregard the law of succession by ordination, and live a lesser law, they may do so by overruling the law of succession by the law of common consent)
The Lord commands the elders to gather for a special conference that their enemies may not have power over them, however it becomes apparent that the special conference at the Morley Farm in 1831 was only a shadow fulfillment because they failed to organize themselves. Another possibility is that the restoration of the fullness of the gospel made possible the intercessory atonement which ultimately PRESERVED the saints; “Behold, thus saith the Lord unto you my servants, it is expedient in me that the elders of my church should be called together, from the east and from the west, and from the north and from the south, by letter or some other way. And it shall come to pass, that inasmuch as they are faithful, and exercise faith in me, I will pour out my Spirit upon them in the day that they assemble themselves together. And it shall come to pass that they shall go forth into the regions round about, and preach repentance unto the people. And many shall be converted, insomuch that ye shall obtain power to organize yourselves according to the laws of man; That your enemies may not have power over you; that you may be preserved in all things; that you may be enabled to keep my laws; that every bond may be broken wherewith the enemy seeketh to destroy my people. Behold, I say unto you, that ye must visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief, that they may be kept until all things may be done according to my law which ye have received. Amen. (Section 44)
It is during the final generation of the Lords coming that “a light shall break forth among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fullness of my gospel But they receive it not; for they perceive not the light, and they turn their hearts from me because of the precepts of men” (45:28-29) Prior to the great day of the Lord the elect will be gathered in holy places (in Zion… see 32) and the remnant (of latter day Jews (51-53) ) will be gathered to “this place” (where the revelation was given (43) Additional information concerning matt 24 and section 45 will not be given until the New Testament is published to the world! (60)
“I have sent unto you mine everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning” “it is lawful that you he should have ONE wife” (49:9 & 17) The everlasting covenant is entered into at the time of water baptism and the laying of on hands. HOWEVER, it is not actuated UNTIL the PROMISE OF THE FATHER takes place. Hence the everlasting covenant was restored in 1829 but not actuated for the group of saints until the Promise of the Father was endowed at the special conference in June of 1831.
“I the Lord have looked upon you, and have seen abomination in the church that profess my name” (D&C 50:4)
Special Conference at Morley Farm– The Fulness of the Gospel is finally manifest for the first time! The Mechizedek priesthood is restored, the
heavens are opened and the Father and Son are seen by Lyman Wight and …..- The Man of Sin is Revealed and the latter day falling away begins in fulfillment of Pauls prophecy. (See article on Special conference at the Morley Farm also section 51 was given the day after the conference.)
GODS PEOPLE TO BE CUT OFF IF THEY AREN’T ORGANIZED ACCORDING TO HIS LAWS! “Hearken unto me, saith the Lord your God, and I will speak unto my servant Edward Partridge, and give unto him directions; for it must needs be that he receive directions how to organize this people. For it must needs be that they be organized according to my laws; if otherwise, they will be cut off.” (51:1-2)
“I WILL CUT MY WORK SHORT IN RIGHTEOUSNESS” Multiple fulfillment- the first work was cut short in righteousness in that it was during the greater light that the Saints were cut off…. And it was with the righteous covenant Joseph and Oliver made leading up to the Lord of righteiousness accepting the temple in section 110, AGAIN, in the 3rd watch the Marvelous Work shall be cut short in righteousness as well (52:11 see also 109: 59 and Matt 24:22)
Some of the high priests from the special conference break the covenant within days while others have not (54:4-6)
“Thus saith the lord unto my people you have many things to do and to repent of for behold, your sins have come up unto me, and are not pardoned, because you seek to counsel in your own ways…. Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls…”
“The sound must go forth from this place [jackson] into all the world, unto the uttermost parts of the earth“ (58:64 also, interestingly, the sound will go forth at some time from Kirtland as well ” “…It was a Pentecost and an endowment indeed, long to be remembered, for the sound shall go forth from this place [Kirtland] into all the world, and the occurrences of this day shall be handed down upon the pages of sacred history, to all generations; as the day of Pentecost, so shall this day be numbered and celebrated as a year of jubilee, and time of rejoicing to the Saints of the Most High God.” –History of the Church, 2:432-33
Kirtland will only be a priesthood “stronghold” for five years, after that, apostasy and eviction! “Ye are laying the foundation of a GREAT WORK” “For it shall come to pass that the inhabitants of Zion shall judge all things pertaining to Zion. And liars and hypocrites shall be proved by them, and they who are not apostles and prophets shall be known.“ (section 64)
the Lord acknowledges that the Saints already have, or will in the near future, break the everlasting covenant
and that it will need to be established again in the earth. He foretells that if his servant erred, it will be known (section 1)
The Lord that shall “suddenly come to his temple… with a curse to judgment” That happened in the 2nd watch and will happen again in the 3rd. Let the LDS members who are among the gentiles flee unto Zion and let the LDS members who are of Judah, flee unto Jerusalem (133)
“The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto MAN on the earth, and from THENCE (those men) shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth like a stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands…”
- Many of the elders who had been ordained high priests at the special conference at the Morley Farm and others that were subsequently ordained were disappointed and distraught that they had not yet had the heavens opened and seen the face of God which had been promised, subject to worthiness. Some of them began to doubt the ordination they had received- “Ye endeavored to believe that ye should receive the blessing which was offered unto you; but behold, verily I say unto you there were fears in your hearts, and verily this is the reason that ye did not receive…. Again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am – …. You are not able to abide the presence of God now, neither the ministering of angels; therefore, continue in patience until ye are perfected. Let not your minds turn back; and when ye are worthy, in mine own due time ye shall see and know that which was conferred upon you by the hands of my servant Joseph Smith, Jun. Amen” (67)
Vision of the three degrees of glory (section 76). This causes a great stir in the church and some apostatize because of its rejection of the universalist concept of heaven and hell.
- “There must be.. an organization of my people, in regulating and establishing the affairs of the storehouse for the poor… both in this place and in the land of Zion…that you may be equal in the bonds of heavenly things, yea, and earthly things also, for ht obtaining of heavenly things.
For if ye are not equal in earthly things ye cannot be equal in obtaining heavenly things…. Organize yourselves by a bond or everlasting covenant that cannot be broken. And he who breaketh it shall lose his office and standing in the church and shall be delivered over to the buffetings of Satan until the day of redemption” (78)
- At special conference in Jackson County the Lord tells several High Priests that “none doeth good and all have gone out of the way“. It appears that the light of the fullness of the gospel is indeed going out! The Lord binds Joseph & Sidney and seven others into consecration order for Kirtland and Jackson county at conference in JC- They are warned that if they fail to keep the storehouse they will be turned over to the buffetings of satan. If they transgression, judgment will fall upon each of their stewardships (82:6)
- Keys given to those who will ultimately bring forth the kingdom
- 1832 Vanity and unbelief have brought the WHOLE church under condemnation. This condemnation shall remain on the WHOLE church until they repent and remember the New Covenant contained in the Book of Mormon and the former commandments. (84:54-57) That indictment is followed by a cryptic message revealing how the Marvelous Work is going to begin in the 3rd watch when the High Priest and his fellows are returned to the earth, forgiven of their sins, made clean and sent forth to take the fullness of the gospel into all the world; “I will forgive your sins [in the 3rd watch] with this commandment- that you remain steadfast in your minds in solemnity and the spirit of prayer, in bearing testimony to all the world of those things which are communicated unto you. Therefore go into all the world; and unto whatsoever place ye cannot go ye shall send, that the testimony may go from you into all the world unto every creature. And as I said unto my apostles even so I say unto you, for you are mine apostles, even Gods’ high priests; ye are they whom my Father hath given me ; ye are my friends; Therefore, as I said unto mine apostle I say unto you again, that every soul who believeth on your words, and is baptized by water for the remission of sins, shall receive the Holy Ghost. And these signs shall follow them that believe— In my name they shall do many wonderful works; In my name they shall cast out devils; In my name they shall heal the sick; In my name they shall open the eyes of the blind, and unstop the ears of the deaf; And the tongue of the dumb shall speak; And if any man shall administer poison unto them it shall not hurt them; And the poison of a serpent shall not have power to harm them….. let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things. For if they do reject these things the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate. Let him trust in me and he shall not be confounded; and a hair of his head shall not fall to the ground unnoticed. And verily I say unto you, the rest of my servants, go ye forth as your circumstances shall permit, in your several callings, unto the great and notable cities and villages, reproving the world in righteousness of all their unrighteous and ungodly deeds, setting forth clearly and understandingly the desolation of abomination in the last days. For, with you saith the Lord Almighty, I will rend their kingdoms; I will not only shake the earth, but the starry heavens shall tremble.” (Joseph Smith and the first elders never went into the world with the fullness of the gospel at the time of this revelation or any time following this commandment in section 84! Although he probably did forgive their sins temporarily at that time in the 2nd watch clearly, this commandment pertains to the return of the servants in the 3rd watch when they will take the fulness of the gospel to the world)
“and it shall come to pass that I the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, shoes mouth shall utter words eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth to set in order the house of God…” (85)
The Lord reveals why the saints could not be successful in living consecration and establishing zion in the 2nd watch, it is because the tares are allowed to mingle with the wheat until the harvest if fully ripe in the 3rd watch- “But behold, in the last days, even now while the Lord is beginning to bring forth the word, and the blade is springing up and is yet tender— Behold, verily I say unto you, the angels are crying unto the Lord day and night, who are ready and waiting to be sent forth to reap down the fields; But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender (for verily your faith is weak), lest you destroy the wheat also.
Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned.” (86)
“the alms of your prayers have come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded in the book of the names of the sanctified, even them of the celestial world. Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John. This Comforter is the promise which I give unto you of eternal life, even the glory of the celestial kingdom; Which glory is that of the church of the Firstborn, even of God, the holiest of all, through Jesus Christ his Son—” Is this promise of eternal life not calling and election? Joseph and others had to be sanctified and have their calling and elections made sure in order to offer themselves as intercessory atonement offerings for others! The revelation goes on to provide a profile of events that will take place when the servant return to be sent AGAIN for the LAST TIME to WARN the people and BIND UP THE LAW and SEAL UP THE TESTIMONY and PREPARE the SAINTS for the HOUR of JUDGMENT to COME (88:80-85)
“And again, verily I say unto thy brethren, Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams, their sins are forgiven them also, and they are accounted as equal with thee in holding the keys of this last kingdom; As also through your administration [Joseph] the keys of the school of the prophets, which I have commanded to be organized; That thereby they [Sidney and Fredrick] may be perfected in their ministry for the salvation of Zion, and of the nations of Israel, and of the Gentiles, as many as will believe; That through your administration [Joseph’s] they [Sidney and Frederick] may receive the word, and through their administration [Sidney and Frederick’s ] the word may go forth unto the ends of the earth, unto the Gentiles first, and then, behold, and lo, they shall turn unto the Jews. And then cometh the day when the arm of the Lord shall be revealed in power in convincing the nations, the heathen nations, the house of Joseph, of the gospel of their salvation. For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (90)
“And it shall come to pass that if you are faithful you shall receive the fullness of the record of John” Sidney is to “proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord and the gospel of Salvation” (93)
The Lord commands the Saints to build the temples in the Land of Zion and Kirtland. This date is 139 weeks prior to the accepting and cleansing of the Kirtland Temple by Christ in accordance with Daniels prophecy (sections 94 & 97 Daniel 9 see also the following article) (The correct date for both revelations is August 2nd 1833 although listed as May 6 for section 94 in D&C)
High Priests who have been ordained are commanded to tarry in Kirtland (Jerusalem) just as the NT apostles were commanded to tarry in Jerusalem until they receive POWER FROM ON HIGHT which is the PROMISE OF THE FATHER (Pentecost) when the Kirtland Temple is completed. This endowment is a preparation for when the servants prune the Lords vineyard for the last time… many of the high priests have been called but NOT chosen! (95)
“And it is expedient in me that you, my servant Sidney, should be a spokesman unto this people; yea, verily, I will ordain you unto this calling, even to be a spokesman unto my servant Joseph. And I will give unto him power to be mighty in testimony. And I will give unto thee power to be mighty in expounding all scriptures, that thou mayest be a spokesman unto him, and he shall be a revelator unto thee, that thou mayest know the certainty of all things pertaining to the things of my kingdom on the earth” Sidney was to be the spokeman for the revelation Joseph brought forth and to know the certainty of them! (100)
The Jackson count Saints have been afflicted, persecuted and cast out because of their transgressions but God will remember mercy in the day of wrath- “all mine Israel shall be saved” “they that have been scattered shall be gathered” (compare 45:24-25 and section 113) “Zion shall not be moved out of her place” “there is none other place appointed than that which I have appointed” Those who worship God according the everlasting covenant will gather in the 3rd watch and stand in holy places. The parable of the redemption of Zion- The enemy came by night and broke down the hedge and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted and fled and the enemy destroyed their works and broke down the olive trees. the servants will return to break down their walls and throw down their tower of the enemy. “it is contrary to my commandment and my will that my servant Sidney Gilbert should sell my storehouse which I have appointed unto my people, into the hands of mine enemies.” “… and if the president heed them not, then will the Lord arise and come forth out of his hiding place, and in his fury vex the nations and… cut off those wicked, unfaithful, and unjust stewards, and appoint them their portion among hypocrites and unbelievers.. that I may proceed to bring to pass my act, my strange act and perform my work, my strange work that men may discern between the righteous and the wicked,..”(101)
- Smith finishes the translation of the KJV of the bible.
“And now verily I say unto Joseph Smith, Jun.- You have not kept the commandments, and must needs stand rebuked before the Lord…”
Joseph Smith announces that Sept 11 1836 is the appointed time or the redemption of Zion and prophesies that- “If we do not exert ourselves to the utmost in gathering up the strength of the Lord’s house that this thing may be accomplished, behold there remaineth a scourge for the Church, even that they shall be driven from city to city …” Within a very short time after their failure to redeem Zion on the appointed time, the Saints were driven from Kirtland and various places in Missouri to Adom ondi amen, then to Far west, then to Nauvoo and then they were scattered into many divisions which were driven from Nauvoo.
- the First Presidency obtains sustaining vote of a conference to change the name of the church to the church of the latter day saints Which means they were being classified as an unconsecrated people.(TMH 621)
- Kingdoms of the world begins to prevail over Saints ( D&C 102)
Jackson Country Saints who broke covenant have been cursed
- Zions Camp unsuccessful in redeeming Jackson County and disbanded (TMH 622)
- JS reveals that section 64 meant that appointed time for Zion was to be Sept 11 1836
- If zion not redeemed church will be destroyed and scattered
- the Saints are the children of Israel
The covenant has been broken. Revelation ends United Order comes to an end in Kirtland (104 & `105)
- 1834 November Joseph and Oliver enter into a covenant of consecration exclusive of the bond which they had previously entered into with 7 others to oversee consecration and the storehouses in Jackson and Kirtland. It appears the Kirtland covenant of consecration for the Bishops storehouse had now been broken just like the one in Jackson was. This new covenant that Joseph and Oliver entered into with the Lord leads up to the acceptance of the temple when Christ visits Joseph and Oliver. Those dates are the exact same dates of Daniels prophecy pertaining to the reconciliation for sins. It appears that Joseph and Oliver were possibly actuating the atonement statute and thereby accessing a period of grace for the saints leading to the dedication and acceptance of the Temple.
- December 5th 1834- The following revelation was recieved but not published in the Book of Commandments: “Verily, condemnation resteth upon you, who are appointed to lead my church and to be saviors of men; and also upon the church. And there must be a repentence and a reformation among you in ALL things,in your examples before the church and before the world, in all your manners, habits and customs, and salutations…” (DHC 2:177)
- Redemption of Zion is delayed because Saints transgressed
Something new must be done
- dedicatory prayer- promise that at future time truth will go to ends of the earth from Kirtland Temple
Christ accepts temple in secret,(section 110) for future purpose- restoration of Gospel of Abraham (cursing/blessing)
- 1836 Appointed time of Sept 11 1836 came and went without even an attempt being made by the Saints to redeem zion.
Church to come forth out of the wilderness AT FUTURE TIME( It appears that atonement ordinance)
Kirtland Safety Society organized- would fail six months later.
Despite some people thinking the millennium had begun… JS warned that apostasy is going to break out in the church
- Orson Pratt & Lyman Johnson accuse Smith of lying, financial fraud and extortion… this would be the beginning of an apostasy that would overwhelm church headquarters and cause its abandonment by Smith seven months later (Quinn 626)
- Kirtland Safety Society Failure- Fight in the Temple- Temple is defiled
- Mass apostasy- between 1/3 and ½ of church and leadership
The twelve are admonished in all their sins- darkness covers the whole earth- all flesh has become corrupt- Judgment shall begin at the house of God
- May Mass apostasy breaks out in church at the tail end of the Kirtland safety society debacle. “No Quorum was entirely exempt from the influence of those false spirits who are striving against me for the mastery; even some of the Twelve were so far lost to their high and responsible calling, as to begin to take sides, secretly, with the enemy“ (period 1 vol 2 page 488 HC)
“God revealed to me that something new must be done for the salvation of His Church and on or about the first of June, Heber C Kimball one of the Twelve, was set apart by the spirit of prophecy and relation, prayer and laying on of hands, of the First Presidency, to preside over a mission to England, to be the first foreign mission of the Church of Christ in the last days. While we were about ordaining him, Orson Hyde, another of the Twelve, came in and upon listening to what was passing, his heart melted within him, (for he had begun to drink of the cup filled with the overflowing of speculation) , he acknolwledged all his faults, asked forgiveness, and offered to accompany President Kimball to England. His offer was accepted and he was set apart for that purpose” (period 1 vol 2pg 490 HC)
1837 June Young, Kimball, Hyde and other leave for the first mission to Europe. 626
1837 December Joseph Smith flees from Kirtland
1838 The Church begins to flee from Kirtland to Far West- The Danites are formed
- 1838 August The Mormon Missouri War- The specific dates of the war are from August 6, 1838 (the Gallatin election battle) to November 1, 1838 when Joseph Smith surrendered at Far West. During the conflict 22 people were killed (3 Mormons and 1 non-Mormon at Crooked River and 18 Mormons at Haun’s Mill). The conflict was preceded by the eviction of the Mormons from Jackson County, Missouri (in July of 1833 In august of 1833 the Lord commanded the Saints to “renounce war and proclaim peace” the rules of war are given see section 98 Joseph’s prophesy was coming true that the saints would be scattered and smitten for not redeeming zion)
- 1838 Name change of church which had previously been voted on is acknowledged in revelation- “latter day Saints” = those who are scattered not gathered
1838 JS reveals that in future when Zion is redeemed
- Oct-nov Smith and other danites surrender and barely escape execution and are incarcerated in Liberty Jail.
- The brethren spend time in Liberty Jail- Three published revelations received
- No published revelations received!
- 1841 section 124 The Lord acknowledges the OFFERING Joseph has made. (I believe this is referring to the latter day ATONEMENT OFFERING that he and Sidney made.)
- 1841 The Lord announces fullness of the priesthood is lost– warns saints to not flee from Nauvoo
1841 warning to build temple by appointed time
1841 April 6 cornerstones of Nauvoo Temple are laid
1842 the appointed time has expired? According to some diary accounts
1842 march Joseph is initiated into freemasonry 633
- When Don Carlos Smith (one of Joseph’s younger brothers) realized that Joseph was secretly teaching and practicing the spiritual wife doctrine. He rejected it and said- “Any man who will teach and practice the doctrine of spiritual wifery will go to hell; I don’t care if it is my brother Joseph“. He was so upset and repulsed that he began preparing to leave Nauvoo and move his family back to Kirtland. While making preparations he mysteriously dies. Supposedly of bilious fever. Don Carlos had served as the President of the High Priests Quorum in Kirtland and had been described by Ebeneser Robinson as “one of the most perfect men I ever knew“. (In sacred Loniness pg 152 It is truly sad that this man has been virtually written out of the history of the church along with his brother Samuel Smith!
1842Joseph Smith began taking plural wives under the guise of the “spiritual wife” revelation (section 132) Takes approximately 33 wives in three years- then abruptly obstains during last 7 months. Tells two people he has sinned
1844 April Smith is anointed and ordained by the Council of fifty as King Priest and ruler over Israel on earth. (643)
1844 may 21 The apostles leave to go on political missions to campaign for Joseph Smith run for the presidency of the United States
1844 June 7 the first and only edition of the Nauvoo Expositor is published with references to 1843 polygamy revelation and the anointing of Joseph Smith as the “King on Earth”
Hyrum Smith tells the city council that the 1843 polygamy revelation has to do with “ancient polygamy” not modern times. By Joseph Smiths orders the as mayor the council destroys the expositor as a “public nuisance” and William Law and his associates flea from Nauvoo shortly thereafter fearing for their lives because of threats that have been made.
June 20 Smith writes the apostles and tells them to return to Nauvoo and to destroy their endowment garments
- June 23 Smith tells Clayton to burn or bury the minutes of the Council of Fifty and he and Hyrum flea Nauvoo. Their departure cause near panic in Nauvoo Accused of cowardly abandoning Nauvoo, they return later that evening. According to some accounts he and Emma burn the 1843 revelation on polygamy. (William Clayton preserves a copy)
Joseph Smith tells Stephen Markham that he [Joseph smith] has lost the spirit of God for disobedience in returning to Nauvoo
Samuel H. Smith the brother of Joseph Smith dies under very questionable circumstances. His daughter and brother William would later accuse Hosea Stout of poisoning him under the orders of Willard Richards.
Emma Smith declares that “secret things… cost Joseph and Hyrum their lives“
Hopefully you found the above chronology of events helpful in better understanding 1- the KEY EVENTS PERTAINING TO THE RESTORATION OF THE CHURCH AND THE LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION OF THE FUTURE MARVELOUS WORK, 2- THE INTERRELATED REFERENCES TO THE 3RD WATCH and 3- the APOSTASY REFERENCES.
The Testimony and Example
of the Smith Family
It is interesting to note that as beloved as Joseph and Hyrum were by Mother Smith, Samuel, Don Carlos, William and Joseph’s three sisters, all seven of them along with Emma initially and ultimately rejected the spiritual wife doctrine and chose not to follow Brigham Young and his associates of the twelve into the wilderness, to Utah.
With that in mind, her is a very important visionary experience that Mother Smith had at the general time of the succession issue is presented below-
MOTHER SMITH’S FIRST VISION.
Brothers and children, I was much troubled and felt as if I had the sins of the whole world to bear, and the burden of the Church; and I felt that there was something wrong. I called on the Lord to show me what was wrong, and if it was I. I called upon him until I slept. I then heard a voice calling on me saying, awake, awake, awake, for the only son that thou hast living, they for his life have laid a snare. My aged servant Joseph who was the first Patriarch of this Church, and my servant Hyrum who was the second Patriarch, my servant Joseph who was Prophet and Seer, and my servants Samuel, William and Don Carlos—they were the first founders, fathers and heads of this Church, raised up in these last days, and thou art the mother, and thy daughters have helped, and they are the daughters in Israel, and have helped raise up this Church. Arise, arise, arise, and take thy place, you know not what has been in the hearts of some; hut he said thou shalt know. He told me what it was; but I shall not tell. (I saw William in a room full of armed men and he having no weapons. They would have crushed him down, if it had not been for the power of God; and many of the family would have been cut off— [the] Lord having softened their hearts. Two of them had blacker hearts than the rest, and I know who they are, and I will tell them if they will come to me. Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball know it is so, and dare not deny it.) Call upon the Twelve, let all things be set in order, and keep their hearts pure from this time hence forth; the voice saith be merciful, and then Zion shall arise and flourish as a rose. What I was told I cannot tell.
Thou art the mother in Israel, and tell thy children all to walk uprightly. Thy son William, he shall have power over the churches, he is father in Israel over the patriarchs and the whole of the Church; he is the last of the lineage that is raised up in these last days. He is Patriarch to regulate the affairs of the Church. He is President over all the Church, they can’t take his apostleship away from him. The Presidency of the Church belongs to William, he being the last of the heads of the Church, according to the lineage, he having inherited it from the family from before the foundation of the world. Thou art a mother in Israel. Thy spirit arose and said in eternity that it would take a body to be a mother to prophet [s] who should be raised up to save the last dispensation. And the spirit said unto me to be faithful, (and that I was faithful,) and tell the Church to be faithful. And the spirit said I should live until I was satisfied with life.
Brothers and children, I want you to take notice that the burden of the Church rests [on William].
Joseph came to me and said: “That day is coming when I shall wave the scepter of power over my enemies. Be patient my brothers and sisters, the day is coming when you shall have eternal life and be rewarded for all your troubles (Succession in the Presidency BH Roberts)
The Utah Mormon culture that looks down upon those
who desire the promised spiritual gifts
Once the saints got to Utah it occurred to some that the church was not experiencing the spiritual experiences that it had enjoyed during the early days in Kirtland.
Furthermore, the vast majority of the early saints who had experienced the supernatural gifts of the spirit, ie, healings, prophesying, speaking in tongues, visions, visitation of angels, having the heaven open to see the Father and or the son, etc. had either left the church in Kirtland or decided not to follow Brigham Young and his followers when the left Nauvoo to flee to Utah.
Brigham Young addressed this dilemma in a general conf talk after they got to Utah. In the talk he characterizes those early saints that witnessed “powerful manifestations” as the questionable ones who were sign seekers that ultmately denied the faith and quoted Elder Cannon who used an old adage to describe them “soon ripe, soon rotten“.
He infers that the ones with “powerful manifestations” are the gentiles who have a much greater reaction to the spirit because their blood is being purged.
He infers that those who came to the Rocky Mtns are the pure blood of Israel and therefore the affects of the spirit upon them is more subtle.
He went on to suggest that those who came to the rocky mountains who appeared to be devoid of the powerful spiritual manifestations were in actuality the more spiritually stable ones of the kingdom who were holding up the banner of Zion. He assures us that God wants to develop his saints GRADUALLY!
This is perhaps at least partly why the LDS culture teaches that the baptism of fire is a subtle, gradual experience and discourages powerful outward spiritual manifestations and looks down upon those who seek to have them or claim to have them.
“The question has often Arisen among us, why it is that we do not see more angels, have more visions, that we do not see greater and more manifestations of power. Any of the brethren that were there [early days in Kirtland] could have heard testimonies of manifestations in abundance.
On the first day of the dedication [of the Kirtland Temple] , President Frederick G. Williams, one of the Council of the Prophet, and who occupied the upper pulpit, bore testimony that the Savior, dressed in his vesture without seam, came into the stand and accepted of the dedication of the house, that he saw him, and gave a description of his clothing and all things pertaining to it.
That evening there was a collection of Elders, Priests, Teachers and Deacons, etc., amounting to four hundred and sixteen, gathered in the house; there were great manifestations of power, such as speaking in tongues, seeing visions, administration of angels.
Many individuals bore testimony that they saw angels, and David Whitmer bore testimony that he saw three angels passing up the south aisle, and there came a shock on the house like the sound of a mighty rushing wind, and almost every man in the house arose, and hundreds of them were speaking in tongues, prophesying or declaring visions, almost with one voice.
The question arises, where are those men?
A number of them who manifested the greatest gifts, and had the greatest manifestations have fallen out by the way side, you look around among us and they are not here.
Many who received the knowledge of the things of God by the power of his spirit, and sought not after signs and wonders, and when the spirit rested upon them seemed to produce no visible demonstration, you look around among the Saints in the valleys of the mountains, and you find they are here with us bearing on high the standard of Zion, or have descended into honorable graves.
But where you find men who have turned away, and have got terribly afflicted with self conceit, you will find those, who, on that occasion and similar occasions, received great and powerful manifestations, and when the spirit came on them it seemed to distort the countenance, and caused them to make tremendous efforts in some instances. Sylvester Smith bore testimony of seeing the hosts of heaven and the horsemen. In his ‘ exertion and excitement it seemed as though he would jump through the ceiling.
Brother Cannon in speaking on the subject this morning referred to the old adage, soon ripe, soon rotten. God has laid the foundation of his kingdom never to be destroyed, and it appears wisdom in him to develop gradually power and glory and strength.
I have always heard it suggested that as the spirit of “Mormonism” gathered together the seed of Abraham—mostly the sons of Abraham that are mixed among the nations; that the Holy Spirit falling upon men, who are not of the pure blood, who had the predominance of other blood in their veins, that the manifestation is greater, and when great manifestations fall on men, great trials immediately follow.” (JD)